Education

Varsity Defiles FG Orders-Sells Post-UTME Forms For N5,000.

on

Contrary to Federal Government’s policy, the Delta
State University, Abraka, has announced its
readiness to conduct “computer-based aptitude
tests” in place of post-Unified Tertiary
Matriculation Examination for the 2017/2018
academic session.
Besides, the university is charging each candidate
N5,000.
This is in addition to N1,000 bank commission,
bringing the total cost to N6,000 as against the
maximum N2,500 allowed by the government’s
order for the screening.
In an official bulletin with reference number S.E.
Vol. XXIV No. 36 and dated June 13, 2017, the
institution directed candidates to visit its
admission portal to “generate a virtual pin with
N5,000”.
Candidates were directed to make the payment at
Ecobank, Unity Bank, Zenith Bank, UBA or Fidelity
Bank.
According to the university, the payment is for
centre-screening and covers honoraria for centre-
facilitation, logistics for producing screening
materials and security.
The News Agency of Nigeria recalls that the
Minister of Education, Malam Adamu Adamu, had
in a statement on June 28, 2016 warned tertiary
institutions against charging candidates for post-
UTME screening.
The warning followed reports that some
institutions had ignored the earlier abolition of
post-UTME test and devised other means to
screen students with certain fees imposed on
them.
Adamu said: “Any screening which tertiary
institutions choose to conduct should only be for
the purpose of verification of certificates of the
candidates, JAMB scores, and any other physical
examination to ensure that such candidates are
not cultists.
“After this, the candidates are qualified for
matriculation. Such screening should be at no cost
to the parents or students and should be done
upon resumption in order to avoid unnecessary
travels in search of admission.”
When contacted, the Registrar of DELSU, Daniel
Urhibo, confirmed the authenticity of the school’s
bulletin and defended the N5,000 screening charge
per candidate.
Urhibo said: “It is aptitude test.
“We are not setting another kind of examination
for them the way JAMB sets for them, and it is
going to be computer-based.”
Asked to differentiate the “computer-based
aptitude test” from the post-UTME test abolished
by the government, Urhibo told NAN that the
Federal Government did not scrap post-UTME test.
He explained: “It is the same agency of the
government that said ‘you can select your
students’.
“Twenty-six thousand candidates applied to
DELSU; how do you select, may be 5,000 or 6,000?
There must be some kind of uniform test to assess
them.
“Last year, we asked them to submit their
secondary school results and we graded them. Do
you know that people claiming to have ‘A’s in their
results could not write their names?
“Some of them had forged results. We went to the
internet and discovered that somebody who
claimed to have scored 300 in UTME had just 120.
“So, if you use that type, you won’t get the best;
that is why there is some kind of a little aptitude
test for them.”
Urhibo explained that the N5,000 charge was
needed to conduct the exercise as the university
was not in good financial position to bear the cost.
He said: “We need materials to do this test; we
will pay the people who are going to administer the
test and those who will mark it.
“We need money to service our computers and to
develop the software for the test.
“So, from where do you expect us to get the
money to do these?”
The minister of education or spokesman of the
ministry could not be reached for reaction to this
in spite of several attempts in more than two
weeks.
However, a top official of the ministry, who craved
anonymity, said what the university was trying to
do was illegal.
The National Universities Commission, tasked with
enforcement of the abolition of the post-UTME test
and screening charges, was also not forthcoming
on the matter.
Its Executive Secretary, Prof. Abubakar Rasheed,
neither answered several calls to his mobile
telephone nor replied NAN’s enquiry sent to him
via SMS and WhatsApp.
The commission’s spokesman, Ibrahim Yakasai,
also did not respond when contacted through the
three channels.

About Nwagboso Ifeanyi

My name is Nwagboso Ifeanyi...I am a World technical blogger/Journalist. I just love Sharing Gossips!.

Recommended for you

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *